Monday, February 14, 2011

Time for a New Challenge (Day One)

It's a new day, a new week, and time for a new blog challenge with my best friend.  What now?  30 Days of Music.  It's exciting, right?  I know you can't wait to see what songs I will pick in the next 30 days.  Some will be pretty, some will be fun, and some will give you a headache while guitars squeal and singers growl and yell.  I can hardly wait!!

So, since today is day one of the challenge I am picking a song that is one of my all time favorites: "The Whole of the Moon" by The Waterboys (from 1985).

 The Waterboys


 A young Mike Scott -- the band's lead singer

I love this song for many reasons.  I love the music -- I remember the first time I heard it I was hooked.  There are so many different instruments in this song and they all blend together so well -- it sounds amazing!  I love the lyrics in this song just as much as I love the music.  They are very poetic and filled with great imagery.  It is about a person the "story teller" (singer) knew who seemed to do everything easily while he struggled to do them or couldn't do them at all.  Instead of feeling jealous he admired this person.  It's such a great song.  Mike Scott, the lead singer, is such a gifted musician.  He has a very unique voice -- it's raw, yet smooth.  He is a gifted writer and, as you can probably already tell, I love this song. Below is a link to the video so you can watch it and listen to the song.   I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and get lost in the lyrics! I also hope you see the whole of the moon! ;P


"Whole of the Moon" by The Waterboys

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can honestly say I've never heard this song. It's not bad, kinda catchy! Hope you like my song for today!

    ReplyDelete