Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 19

Today I'm supposed to post a picture of my favorite toy as a child.


This is Baby Beth.  I got her when I was a baby and still have her.  She's dirtier and her hair is messier than it once was, but I still have the pink hat, sweater, and booties that came with her.  I loved her so much when I was a little girl.  We had a storm cellar in the back yard and when the sirens would go off I would run to my room to get Baby Beth to take her to the cellar.  I would grab other dolls and stuffed animals too -- one time I put them in baskets and made my brother help me carry them to the cellar.  My dad would get so mad at me because he thought it was stupid.  My mother would calmly tell him that I was just being a good momma to my babies.   I thought my dolls and stuffed animals had feelings. I didn't want to hurt their feelings or lose them in a tornado.  That would be horrible! I played with Baby Beth outside and she slept with me.  I remember my mom having to wash her in a pillow case and every time she washed her I was so concerned that she would get messed up.  I mean, what mother puts their baby in a pillow case and tosses them in the washing machine -- it didn't seem right to me.  Ha.  She was there for tea parties and for playing house.  She sat on my bed when I felt I was too old to play with dolls.  She sat on the shelf smiling down at me when I graduated from high school and eventually ended up in a Rubbermaid container to keep her protected.  She was very loved when I was little and even though she is only a doll, she still means a great deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment