Friday, March 11, 2011

Food!

This week has been a busy and interesting one.  Jacob didn't feel well, then we had pipe/sink issues in the kitchen and the boys' bathroom, and Logan was sick.  I did manage to do some baking and cooking this week, though.  I always enjoy it when I have time to actually cook or bake instead of throwing a quick meal together.  I thought I'd share some pictures of a few of the things I've cooked, baked, or made this week -- just because they were all such big hits!

This is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip I made from the Deceptively Delicious cook book.  This dip has a weird twist -- but Logan loves it so I guess that means it works!  The above picture is cream cheese and peanut butter.

Then you're supposed to add 6 table spoons of chocolate syrup.  I'll be honest, I added more. (I tasted it first and it just seemed to need more chocolate syrup -- what are you gonna do?) ha

Now, the purpose of the Deceptively Delicious cookbook is to sneak vegetables in so your children get the vegetables they need, but don't realize it.  This is where my wonderful food processor comes into play.  This specific recipe actually has carrot puree in it.  You can detect a hint of carrot when you eat it, but it's not so much to make it yucky (or if you have no children you can just omit the carrots altogether -- it's delicious!)  So, I added the carrot puree and mixed it all together.  I sliced an apple and put it on a little plate with some of this dip and gave it to the boys for their snack that day.  Logan loved it and asks for it daily.  Alex didn't like it because he said he didn't know what it was -- he IS my picky eater.  one out of two isn't bad I guess.  Ha. (And it looks a lot yummier when it's completely mixed -- the above picture isn't quite mixed yet.)

On Wednesday, between having the sink in the boys' bathroom fixed and the pipes in the kitchen fixed I managed to make some homemade applesauce muffins.  These are full of old fashioned oats and applesauce and as far as healthy foods go they are pretty good -- very good when warmed and served with coffee.  ;)
Again -- Logan likes these and Alex won't eat them.   Jacob seems to really like them, though.

This brings us to last night's dinner.  I managed to start everything early enough to be able to make something really good.  Jacob took the boys outside and played football with them since it was such a nice day.  Logan was feeling better and wanted to go out and play -- I'm sure the fresh air was nice.  I sat on the porch and watched for a while before coming back in and finishing dinner.

Jacob loves chicken and rice so I tried a new recipe.  It sounded gross to me at first because you mix a can of cream of celery soup with a can of cream of mushroom soup.  It was actually very good.  A layer of rice, then spread the soup mixture on top, lay cooked chicken breasts on top of that, cover with shredded cheese and tomato slices, parsley, garlic, and onion salt.  It was delicious! 

I don't often get the chance to spend as much time cooking as I would like.  I was able to do that some this week and thought I'd share. 

1 comment:

  1. I would try all of it but the chicken dish! I'm sorry, I just can't do the tomatoes on top of stuff! I don't know why, I never have done tomatoes on anything but mexican food! You did a great job on everything though!

    ReplyDelete