Thursday, May 29, 2014

Just Be Thankful!

The gremlins ate a very healthy lunch of Chef Boyardee ravioli today.  When it was ready I placed Kaitlyn in her booster seat and told the boys it was time to eat. Logan smiled and said, "I'm glad ravioli was created."

These kids never cease to amaze me.  Logan especially has a big heart for others and is always thankful for what he has.  Sure, he has moments like the rest of us where he wishes he had something he doesn't have (We as adults do it, he's an 8-year-old boy, of course he's going to do it), but most of the time he is happy to eat whatever I serve him, he's happy to have shoes and clothes, even if they're hand-me-downs. He's just happy. He's also thankful. It occurred to me today that we could learn a lot from him.

We live in a society that judges people by the homes they live in, the cars they drive, the things they have, the clothes they wear, or how much money they have.  It can be a hard world to raise your children in.  Jacob and I have tried to teach our children from day one to be thankful for what they have, we try to teach them not to be wasteful, and most importantly, we try to teach them to get to know someone and make opinions about them based on their personality, not based on what they're wearing of where they live. Logan is at a really cool age because he really doesn't see a lot of differences between himself and others.

It is so easy to look at some one or meet some one for the first time and quickly make judgments and assumptions about them.  It's easy to get caught up in the money game and become engulfed with the "I wants" but we all need to be reminded from time to time to take a look around and be thankful for what we have.  This includes relationships with people--if you want to nurture important relationships, then treat that person with kindness and respect. It is hard to keep a healthy relationship if you are constantly criticizing and making negative comments.  This is why people say real relationships are few and far between.  Be thankful for those relationships that make you feel encouraged and loved. See?  We have a lot to be thankful for. ;)

Some day, when my timeline on earth stops, I don't want people to remember me as being selfish or critical.  I don't want people to remember me as being snobbish or acting superior.  I don't want people to remember me as being hateful or cruel. I don't want people to remember me as being controlling, bossy or pushy.  I want people to remember me as being kind. I want people to remember me as having a positive attitude and never making anyone feel bad about themselves. I want people to remember me as being accepting, loving, helpful, encouraging and thankful for all I have--whether it's a little or a lot, it's always enough.

Surely, if an 8-year-old boy can be thankful for Chef Boyardee Ravioli, we as adults can be thankful for so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment