Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Why Do You Think Your Children Are So Special?

"Why do you post so many pictures of your kids?"

"You talk about your kids too much!"

"Why are you posting so many pictures of yourself with your kids?"

Mothers want to brag about their children. Mothers want to share their children's accomplishments and talk about how proud their children make them.  Every mother wants to share funny stories about their children. Our children are such a huge part of our lives--it's difficult NOT to share them with friends and family.

On New Year's Eve Jacob had to take me to the ER.  After running some tests they discovered an issue with my appendix that could become cancerous and suggested I have it removed.  It was supposed to be a simple procedure--you know the drill, you go in that morning and are home by that evening.  Not a big deal. They ended up having to remove not only my appendix but also some of my colon and some of my small intestine.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and every day the doctor would come in and tell us that he still didn't have the results from the biopsy.  I was sent home and was told I couldn't get the results until my appointment because they wouldn't give that information over the phone. That week was one of the longest weeks of my life. We just wanted to know if it was benign or not.  It was simple.  "What does this have to do with pictures?"  I remember thinking about my children and how you really aren't promised tomorrow and you need to make EVERY second count. We were finally told that it was, in fact, benign. We breathed a sigh of relief and said a prayer of gratitude and felt a little less weight on our shoulders as we left the doctor's office.  I had been challenged to take more pictures of myself with my children--not for me, but for them.  Years from now when I'm gone they will have all these pictures of me with them; reminders of memories from their childhood. Some one once said that if you have memories you don't need to take a lot of pictures.  Look at the expression on an elderly person's face as they look at pictures from their childhood.  Memories are wonderful, but pictures are a pretty good thing to have, in my opinion.

I also post too many pictures of my children and talk about them too much because all three of them have a bone disease.  All three of them have had surgeries and all three of them have more surgeries in their future. I remember Alex, in the first grade, having both arms in casts after his surgery and never complaining.  None of them complained. They took it, they handled it, and they were tough!  I have learned so much from these three gremlins.  All three have gone through so much more than I ever did as a child, that is for sure! They are strong.  They are determined and they are positive.  How could I not be proud and want to share with everyone who loves them?

Not only this, but my sweet Alex is a special needs child.  He has learned to live with Apraxia and Ataxia.  We watch him struggle to do simple things that other children his age (and younger) take for granted.  Sometimes he gets discouraged but for the most part this boy is positive and he rarely lets things get to him.  He never gives up and he always tries his best.  People ask him why he talks funny, why he smiles funny, why he has a hard time tying his shoes or riding a bike, reading, writing. He shrugs his shoulders and says, "This is how I was born."  At the age of 9, he is one of the strongest people I know.  He always tries his best and then he just takes life as it comes, good or bad, with a positive attitude.  I couldn't be prouder of him.  We have watched him come so far over the past 9 years.

I have been asked why I post so many pictures. "Your children aren't anyone special." The truth is, every child is special.  I have been given these three beautiful gremlins who teach me so much about strength and the power of a positive attitude every single day.  May we all learn how to be better people from our children!




No comments:

Post a Comment