Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Hunt

I don't know what I was thinking.  I guess I imagined a crowd of therapists shoving each other and begging to work with Alex as he stood with his arms crossed glaring at them trying to figure out which one to pick.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

When we moved to Perkins a month ago we said goodbye to Sensational Kids where Alex was getting all of his therapies. It is about an hour away and between gas and driving, waiting, and driving back with a toddler we just decided, albeit sadly, that we would find some one up here. Everything else had fallen into place and we were hopeful that everything with Alex would fall into place as well.  Honestly, I should have known better. Sometimes advocating for your child can be so frustrating when you are dealing with people who don't follow through on their end.  Alex has now gone a month without services and sadly, when he speaks, I can tell he has gone without therapies and quite honestly, I am frustrated.

I have called and been transferred and then transferred again and then asked to leave a message.  I leave a message and never get a return call.  I actually did speak to some one at a certain therapy clinic and they sent me paper work to fill out, which I did and sent back to them as quickly as I could (because my son needs therapy).  I was told that it could take a couple of weeks . . . so I waited three weeks and called to check on the status of his application/paper work. The clueless woman I spoke to transferred me and another woman informed me that they needed some information from Alex's doctor in order to proceed.  I sat there for a moment letting that sink in and then, in my nicest tone I asked, "Was anyone going to call me and let me know that this information was needed?"  The woman was silent and then apologized.

I had taken Alex to the doctor a week before we moved and asked for this information and was surprised that it was never sent.  So, I called the doctor's office and asked about it.  They took my information and said that some one would call me back.  No one ever did.

Perhaps it is my own fault because I honestly had no idea it would be this difficult to get my child the therapies he so desperately needs. I made one last phone call today and left a message (of course) and hopefully I will hear back soon and this person will be more eager to work with my son.

We haven't even touched occupational therapy, yet and I don't even know where it is available.  One thing at a time, I guess.  Until then, the mother in me is frustrated that it has been this difficult to find some one to work with my child. My sweet mother keeps saying, "Just be patient, maybe you'll find some one better if you don't rush into anything," and "At least this way he can get used to being in a new school and a new town and house before jumping into therapies again."  Very encouraging words from the woman who raised me--words that I needed to hear.

So the hunt continues and I know that eventually we will find the right person for my sweet Alex--and just like everything else, it will all fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment