Friday, April 27, 2012

Find a Happy Place

Being a stay-at-home mother is full of adventures.  I mean, really--between the house work and the three little people running around I rarely get a minute to myself, much less a minute to be bored. Alex's schedule of occupational therapy, speech therapy, meetings, and doctors appointments on top of school and homework keep my calendar full.

There are days when Kaitlyn cries because she's tired but is stubborn and refuses to take an afternoon nap.  Logan yells, "Uh Oh, mom!  The toilet is throwing up water all over the floor."  Alex is sitting in the recliner with his arms crossed crying because his Wii controller isn't working. "I don't know what's wrong with it!  It's just doing things on it's own and won't let me control my people," as tears stream down his cheeks.  I say, "Are you tired?"  His schedule makes me tired so I KNOW he has to be tired.  He snaps, "NO! I told you, my controller isn't working." A few minutes later he comes, hugs me, and apologizes for "being mean."  I put a spoonful of baby pears in Kaitlyn's mouth at lunch and she sneezes and shoots baby food all over me which she thinks is the funniest thing ever. I pull a load of laundry out of the dryer and as I'm folding clothes I smell something and realize that I have spit up on my shirt.

It is actually a GREAT day when I have more than 2 minutes to shower and actually get to wash my hair. Getting 5 hours of sleep is considered a good night in my book, which is probably why I'm so tired by Friday.  There are nights I cook dinner with Kaitlyn attached to me using the Baby K'Tan--she is screaming and suddenly the smoke alarm will go off.

It is crazy around here. I rarely get a minute to myself. It's busy.  It's loud.  It's messy. And there are days when I want to lock myself in the bathroom to just get 5 minutes to myself.  Then, I remember that some day it will just be Jacob and me.  One day these little people who need so much help and attention right now will no longer need me like they do right now.  This stage in their lives will pass and I know I'll miss it. So, I stop and I notice Kaitlyn's toothless smile or her chuckle when you give her kisses.  I hear the boys tell me time and time again, "You're the best mom ever," and I know I'm doing something right. When life gets stressful people will tell you to find a happy place.  I can honestly say that I have found my happy place. It's in the middle of three great kids--and there is no other place I'd rather be!

No comments:

Post a Comment