Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Day For Dads!

Life can be an amazing journey.  When I was a little girl I was my daddy's girl.  He had strong hands and I always felt safe when he was around.  I had no worries--all of my needs were met and I knew without a shadow of a doubt that both of my parents loved me more than life itself (this was even more evident when the teen years hit and I not only tested them but broke their hearts at times too). Life goes on, time passes by, and we all get older.  Now, its my turn to be the parent and I  understand so much that I once didn't understand. 

While in college I met this cute guy.  What really amazed me was that this cute guy was a super nice guy, too.  Talk about butterflies!  Boy, oh boy!  We went on our first date on August 5, 2000.  My dad always said that when your little girl grows up you want her to find some one who will love her just as much as you do.  When Jacob asked my dad for permission to marry me my dad told him (and later me) that he couldn't have picked a better guy if he had picked Jacob himself.  I can honestly say that I am very spoiled.  My Grandpa Jack spoiled me, my dad spoiled me, and Jacob now spoils me. 

That old saying, "Life is what you make it," always comes to mind.  We now have two little boys and another baby on the way--the road hasn't always been smooth. There have been financial difficulties, discovering we have a child with special needs, and dealing with overwhelming job situations.  Through it all Jacob remains the strong person I met nearly 11 years ago.  He makes me feel safe, loved, and wants nothing more than for me and our children to be happy and taken care of.  He spends as much time with the boys as he can--he even cracked a couple of ribs last summer playing on the slip 'n' slide with them.  He plays with them outside, reads to them, and even helps them with their homework. He works really hard not only at home but at his job--and he does it all for us. 

I look at our two children and see that same look in their eyes that I once had growing up--feeling safe and loved.  All of their needs are met and they are happy and healthy boys.  Jacob has those same strong hands that I remember my dad having when I was a little girl.  He is my rock and he is the best father my children could ever have.

Father's Day is coming up--it is a day that serves as a reminder of all the wonder fathers I have been honored to know in my life--especially the man I am blessed to call my husband, best friend, and father of my children. 

Happy Father's Day to all the awesome dads out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment