Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wear Your Joy!



I had an interesting encounter today--a reminder of how quickly life goes by and how we should stop focusing on all the negative, stop being hateful to each other, and start enjoying every minute we have.

I was on the dairy aisle of the grocery store.  Kaitlyn was wearing her pink sunglasses, blond curls danging over them, and she was happily chatting away.  I was wearing my pink Chuck Taylors and laughing and chatting right along with her.  Suddenly, I heard a soft voice say, "You remind me of my wife."  I turned around and an elderly man was standing near me.  He was holding a shopping basket and had a few items in it. He smiled politely and pointed at Kaitlyn.  "She is beautiful!"  I smiled and said, "Thank you!"  He smiled at Kaitlyn for a second or two and then turned to me.

"I saw you over here with your short haircut and your pink shoes.  You are so happy just to spend time with your daughter--to be alive . . . " He paused for a moment and his eyes filled with tears.  "You remind me of my wife."  He paused again and looked down at the floor. "She liked for her hair to be short.  She said it was more fun and only the bravest of women would cut off their hair!"  He smiled again. "She liked bright colors and fun clothes.  She liked upbeat music.  She was always so happy."  I smiled and said, "Well, she sounds amazing."

"Oh, she was!  She was too good for me, I'll tell you that much. It was impossible to stay unhappy when you were with her."  He paused again and then looked me in the eye.  He lifted his hand and pointed at me. "You remind me of her.  You have that same happy glow about you.  It's very inviting."  I said, "Thank you."  He laughed and said, "You know, sometimes you see these women and they just look angry at the world.  I always stay away from them for fear that they may bite!"  He continued laughing as he watched people walk by us.  "I don't know why people have to be that way.  You only get the one life--might as well make it a good one!"

He said, "Well, I don't want to keep you.  I know you probably have some fun stuff planned with that beautiful little girl of yours.  I'm glad I ran into you today. Don't ever let anyone steal your joy. You wear it well!"  He smiled, waved to Kaitlyn and said, "Bye bye, beautiful girl."  Kaitlyn waved back and said, "Bye bye."  He turned to me again and said, "Thank you for taking the time to stop and talk to an old man!"  I said, "I enjoyed it!"  He smiled and said, "Aw, well, thank you again."

He turned and walked away.  What a nice reminder to find the joy in everything in life--not only to find it, but to wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment