Monday, February 3, 2014

I Am No One Special



I am no one special.  I didn't grow up to be famous.  I haven't cured any diseases or invented some world-changing device.  I haven't written the next great American novel. I am not wealthy.  I am not well-known.

I am me.

A friend told me this morning that she respected me because I am my own person.  I like what I like.  I dress how I dress.  She said I have my own style and I am my own person. (That's a good thing, right?)  Then she said, "Yet, you are kind and go out of your way for people, especially those who are your favorites!"  I laughed and said, "Thank you," thinking she had momentarily lost her mind. She said, "I'm serious!  Look at your kids and your life!" Again, I laughed.

I am no one special.

Then, I started thinking about the people I love most.  My amazing husband, my awesome gremlins, my family, those wonderful friends in my life whom I love and respect so much.  Are they no one special?  No way!  They are VERY special--beautiful women in my life raising children of their own (some with special needs), reaching out to those in need, working full-time jobs, encouraging and supporting me.  A husband who works hard every day to support our gremlins and me--making me smile and feel loved and beautiful all along the way.  Three gremlins who test my patience, give out numerous hugs and little voices filling my ears with laughter and "I love you!"--making my heart swell.  I have so many amazing people in my life and when I look at them I don't see "No one,"  I see some really awesome "Some ones."

When you look in the mirror who do you see?  Do you see some one or no one special?  I know my children see me as some one special (at least for now, anyway).  My husband seems to think I'm some one special.  The amazing friends in my life seem to think I'm more than "No one special."

Sometimes I think we get so caught up in the daily grind that we forget that we DO bring something to the table.  We all offer something.  YOU offer something.  YOU ARE some one special.  Remind yourself of that.  Look at your life.  Focus on the many blessings you have and know that those wouldn't be given to "No one special."  They were given to some one special, and that some one is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment