Friday, February 14, 2014

Bright Spots

                     My gremlins eating their special Valentine's Day breakfast.


One of my very best friends always tells me to look for bright spots when life keeps knocking me down. Now, whenever I think about bright spots, I can't help but think about her.  I'll admit, there are days when I have to really hunt for bright spots, but honestly, they are always there.

The past 6 weeks have been filled with Jacob taking me to and from the emergency room.  I had surgery and was in the hospital for nearly a week and was at home sick and on pain medication off and on for different reasons. The kids have been sick off and on as well. Alex currently has strep and, of course, we have other "exciting" things going on. It is as if we just keep getting hit with one thing after another.  I spent Wednesday morning in the ER and then that evening Alex started running a fever.  Jacob laughed and said, "I guess this is our life now."  It HAS been crazy and it seems that every day we are hit with at least one more stressful situation.

"Look for the bright spots."  My friend, Rene', has said this to me so many times that it just automatically pops into my head now (which is great)!  There are so many bright spots in my life.  My husband has a good job. He is so helpful with the kids and makes me feel so special and so very loved. My children have plenty of food to eat.  They have beds to sleep in, clothes that fit, coats, more toys than any three gremlins need!  They are healthy and happy. I have wonderful in-laws and parents who are always willing to help!  I have some truly amazing friends who are definitely bright spots in my life! The health issues I have experienced have been stressful and overwhelming at times, but we're thankful that none of them are life-threatening. The one that potentially could have been life-threatening came back benign. That is a SERIOUS bright spot.

Today is Valentine's Day.  Jacob and I always get something for each other and then get something for each of the gremlins. We try to make it a special day for the kids and we tell them that Valentine's Day isn't just about being in love and all that mushy stuff--it's about caring for those people who mean the most to you and showing them how you feel in fun and creative ways.  I made the kids scrambled eggs and heart-shaped waffles for breakfast this morning with a red sugar drizzle on top--they loved them!  I loved sitting with them and listening to them talk about kid things.  They can be so sweet to each other.  I love moments like that!  Today has been filled with bright spots!

No matter what life throws your way there are always bright spots . . . even if you have to go searching for them.  I'm so thankful for these bright spots and for the reminders to not overlook them!

What are the bright spots in YOUR life??


No comments:

Post a Comment