Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Supermoms!


It's a bird!  It's a plane!  No! It's . . . SUPERMOM!!!!!

How many Supermoms do you know?  I know quite a few.  We learn from each other, encourage each other, and support each other in this journey called "parenthood."  Yesterday I spent my afternoon at the doctor's office, followed by the pharmacy, to the school to get Alex, back to the pharmacy to get medication for myself and Logan (that still wasn't ready), whined via text to my best friend about how I didn't feel well and couldn't believe they didn't have my medicine ready and I just wanted to go home.  I had all three gremlins with me.  Kaitlyn was screaming, the boys were bored and fidgety, trying their best to sit still and be good.  I was achy and chilled and had a fever, felt light headed and just wanted to be in bed. We eventually got the medication and made it home.  I can't remember the last time I was so happy to see my bed.

When Jacob got home I was already in bed.  He kept coming in and asking me questions (Where's the cooking spray, where do you keep the pans? What do I need to do for bed time?  Homework?) which was perfectly fine with me because I didn't have to get out of bed and actually cook dinner, feed the kids, clean up the mess, help with homework, get kids in the bath, make sure they brushed their teeth . . . the list goes on and on.  At one point he said, "Wow, this is too much to keep straight."  I remember looking at him and smiling.  My first thought was, "Welcome to my world."  My second thought was, "Thank you so much for noticing!"  Jacob is an amazing father and I know he notices all I do around the house and with/for him and the kids, but in that moment when I felt horrible and was basically useless to him and he had to do all the "motherly" things I usually do (tucking kids in bed, etc.) he REALLY noticed.  And, you know, I kind of liked it--because, honestly, I (like so many other moms) sometimes even forget just how much I do for my family.  I am not a perfect mother by any means, but so much of my time and energy goes into these three little gremlins we are raising.  I want to be sure they are independent, respectful, hard working, strong and grow up to be whatever their hearts desire.  I am always telling people that I have been blessed with good kids . . . and this is true, I have been blessed with good kids.  But maybe, just maybe, Jacob and I had something to do with that.  Most days I don't feel like Supermom but some days, I feel that cape blowing behind me, put my hands on my hips and lift my head up high and for a few seconds I savor that awesome feeling.  Then a child shouts, "Mom!" and I am sucked back into reality.

To all the Supermoms out there--take a minute to feel that cape blowing and savor it. Remind yourself that you ARE a supermom and you ARE making a difference in your child's life.  Hold your head high and know that even though you're not perfect (none of us are) you're the perfect one for your child--and that makes you super! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment