Thursday, April 11, 2013

Go Write, You Writer!

I have a great deal of respect for books.  I am constantly telling my boys to take care of their books.  Break a toy and that's okay, but be kind to your books.  There is a whole world hidden within their covers, characters waiting to introduce themselves to you, and obstacles ready to be overcome in the most creative ways.  Let's face it, in a book or story anything is possible--the only limitation is your imagination.

I have been writing for fun for years. I remember in the 8th grade we were told to write a story about anything we desired.  The only instructions given were "be creative."  I wrote a story about a purple dragon. My teacher went on and on about how much she loved it.  I continued writing stories for fun.  In high school I realized I hated every subject except for English.  I loved the literature. I loved writing.  I was passionate about it.  In college I majored in English but ended up getting married, having children, and focusing on being a stay-at-home mom (Which I absolutely love).

A couple of weeks ago my friends all started "encouraging" me to try and get something published.  I was flattered that they liked reading the stories and blogs that I write but never thought I was that good--not good enough to be published.

Then, on Wednesday, I had the privilege of talking to the one and only Claudia Mills.  She is a very successful children's author and some one I have a great deal of respect for.  She told me she loves reading my facebook statuses and each one is a well written story.  She said I have "sparkle aplenty" to succeed as a published writer.  Wow, what an amazing compliment! She gave me advice and ideas, tips and encouragement. I have a lot of research to do and a lot of work to do.

I do not have a false sense of reality when it comes to writing. I know it could take years to get published, or it may never happen, but I would rather spend my time doing something I love and trying to get published than to not try and never know. I am excited about this new chapter in my life and can't wait to see where it takes me.

"You need to add 'Writer' to your occupation along with 'Stay-at-Home Mom'."
"No, I'm not getting paid for it so I'm not a writer."
"Do you get paid to stay at home and take care of your children?"
"Well, no."
"Okay, then.  What's the difference?  You write and you do it well.  Therefore, you're a writer. Now go. Go write, you writer!"

And that's just what I intend to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment