Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stressful Days

There is an episode of The King of Queens where Doug says something to Carrie and she turns around, glares at him, and then barks at him in a growl-y voice. Jacob and I have seen this many times and we laugh so hard.

Well, today, that glaring, growling person is me.  The romantic and fun snow day is over.  That was yesterday and today is a new day . . . a stressful and tiring day.  And I let my bad attitude get the better of me.  The house is a mess and that always makes me feel grumpy.  The toddler has entered a new phase where she strips at bedtime or nap time and then uses the bathroom in her bed.  It has gotten to the point where when I go in and find her naked, if she has only urinated in her bed, I'm relieved.  When I find her naked and she says, "Uh oh, mama.  Poo poo" and then points and says, "Yuck."  I have to take a minute to gather up the will power to, yet again, deal with "yuck." I cannot get caught up on laundry because there is always baby bedding to wash--with each nap, each morning after she wakes up.  It seems to never end.  I have nightmares of drowning in poop-y blankets, pillows and loveys while a giant toddler with big blue eyes and bouncy curls laughs evilly above me.

Today has not been the best day and I found myself sighing a lot and wanting to run from the house screaming.  It is the busiest month of the year and Alex (finally) starts his therapies two or three times a week next week . . . on top of all this I am afraid we are going to have to start potty training as well, which is fine.  I'm all for not having to change diapers any more, but I'm not happy with the timing.  I have spent the day feeling more stressed than usual, being grumpy and wishing for just 30 uninterrupted minutes to myself.

On days like this I DO have to take that time, take a deep breath, and remind myself that while this parenting gig isn't always easy, these little people who seem to adore me (at least for now) as much as I adore them ARE a blessing.  It's not always fun and it's sometimes messy . . . okay, very messy with a side of stinky . . . but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Having a toddler run at you with a giant smile on her face and hug you so tight and kiss you on the cheek, an 8-year-old randomly tell you that you're a good mom and a 7-year-old hug you and say, "I just love you, mom."  Yeah . . . totally worth it! ;)

Working on my attitude and praying for a better day tomorrow.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment