Sunday, August 21, 2011

What I've Learned

Some one once told me that life is basically one lesson after another--the trick is to pay attention and learn from these lessons.  For some reason I was thinking about this today and started thinking about all the things I have learned in the past few months.

The first thing I have learned is that friendships aren't always what you expect them to be.  Pablo Neruda (one of my favorite poets) once asked if man actually learns kindness or if we just learn the mask of kindness.  This "mask" applies to so many things in life.  I have learned that masks are apparent in friendships as well, we just can't see them at times. I have met some great women over the past several months and have made some new friends.  I have also learned who my real friends are and who just wear the mask of friendship.  Sadly, the ones wearing the masks are never the ones you would expect to be wearing masks.  As an adult, real friendships are important to me--and all the others just aren't worth my time.

Another thing I've learned is that I really like . . . no, love . . . Miranda Lambert's music.  I am not quite sure what it is about her.  I'm not the biggest fan of country music and the twangy stuff is some of my least favorite music, but I can listen to her stuff over and over again and just really enjoy it.

What else have I learned?  To pick my battles.  I am learning to do this more and more with my boys.  It makes life easier to let the little things go and focus on the bigger, more important things.  Yes, their room may be a big mess, but at least they are playing and using their imaginations and NOT sitting in front of the television.

I have also learned that the saying, "You are what you eat" isn't true.  I have been craving cereal the past few weeks and if that saying were true I would be a walking, talking cereal box and that hasn't happened yet.  (YET).

There are many more lessons to be learned--I just hope I notice them when they happen. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment